SCCT provides free acting workshops for adults (college-age and up)! It’s a chance, both for beginners and seasoned actors, to get together to learn more about acting, auditioning, the rehearsal process, monologue preparation, and more.
You’re welcome to join the class mid-semester, but you will likely only be able to observe and critique as scenes and monologues will have already been assigned. The bulk of the formal teaching occurs in the beginning of the semester and later classes mainly consist of rehearsing material and performing for critiques. We do have an informal performance at the end of the semester (voluntary participation), and friends and family are welcome to attend. You are also welcome to come and listen to lecture or participate in games/exercises and not perform, but the only way to learn to act is to actually go through the process (selecting material, doing the background character work, experimenting with physical and vocal characteristics, memorizing, developing intentions/obstacles, refining performance technique, receiving critiques, etc.).
We call it AA because no one can give you grief for going to an AA meeting! Class typically meetings on Sundays from 5-6:15 p.m. Once you have attended a class, your email will be added to the instructor’s distribution list so that you can receive class updates, auditions and volunteer opportunities.
Dates & Times
- Adult Acting
September 11, 2016 - December 4, 2016
5:00 pm - 6:15 pm
In order to be assigned a monologue, you need to attend all four of the classes below or secure a note-taker for any absences.
- September 11 – CROW & reading a play
- September 18 – Lessac/Animal Characteristics
- September 25 – Objective/Obstacle/Tactics/Status
- October 2 – Moment Before/Reactions & Basic Presentation Technique/Stage Directions
The dates below are meant for the entire class to be together.
- October 9 – Group Activities & Cold Reading Technique
- October 16 – Possible Skip or Time Shift for 2nd Stage Performance (Material Assignment)
- October 23 – Possible Skip or Time Shift for 2nd Stage Performance (Material Assignment)
The dates below are meant for working and presenting material.
- October 30
- November 6
- November 13
- November 20
- November 27 – No Class (Happy Thanksgiving!)
- December 4 – Class at regular time & sharing at 7:00 p.m.
Venue: SCCT Headquarters