Now seeking a Full Time Box Office Manager!
Position | Box Office Manager
South Carolina Children’s Theatre (SCCT) is a growing non-profit organization located in Greenville, SC. For more than 30 years, SCCT has served children ages 3-18 and their families reaching 50,000 individuals annually. The organization’s mission is “to educate and stimulate the minds and imaginations of young people and their families through participation in theatre of the highest quality, year-round education and accessible outreach.” Programming includes five full-scale productions in Bell MainStage theatre (299 seats), several smaller-scale productions in the Younts 2nd Stage (flexible seating of up to 150), school touring performances, education classes through the Conservatory, in-class theatre residencies, and multiple outreach programs for under-represented youth in Upstate communities. It is an exciting time to join SCCT as it recently completed a $14M+ capital campaign to build its beautiful new theatre home at 153 Augusta Street in the West End of downtown Greenville.
The South Carolina Children’s Theatre is accepting applications for a Box Office Manager. This is a full-time position with a benefits package.
SCCT at a glance…
- We are a community theatre for young people and their families with an annual budget of $1M+
- We cast both adult and youth volunteer actors
- We serve approximately 50,000 young people and families in the Upstate region of SC and are dedicated to creating vibrant and engaging theatre experiences, both on the stage and in the classroom
- Our core values are a passion for people, empowerment, excellence, accessibility, and uncompromised integrity
- As part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we are dedicated to being an organization that represents the uniqueness in our community and where all children and adults are welcomed, embraced, and feel safe in our theatre and programs
Work with Us…
South Carolina Children’s Theatre seeks a motivated, results-driven Box Office Manager. The Box Office Manager will oversee all aspects of the Box Office leading a team of associates, providing top-notch service to guests and curating a customer experience that continuously elevates the organization and the community we serve. If you’re enthusiastic, goal driven, unflappable under pressure, and can strike a balance between generating ideas and executing them successfully, you could be a good fit for our organization.
You would be the ideal candidate for this job if you have:
- 2+ years box office or sales experience
- Experience in a leadership position managing and motivating a team
- Solid work ethic with superior attention to detail
- Exemplary communication skills
- Experience with Tessitura required- our ticketing and CRM software
- Have flexible availability throughout public performance season to provide occasional shift coverage during all major productions.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Process ticket sales, including single, group, school group and season tickets online, on the phone and in person for SCCT programming and rental events. Count and balance deposited checks, cash and credit cards at the close of each day.
- Grow relationships with new and existing customers to build loyalty and foster meaningful experiences for all.
- Manage all daily operations of the Box Office including ticketing, exchanges/refunds, staffing, cash control, and reporting.
- Identify and resolve customer concerns in a timely manner.
- Handle sponsor and outreach ticket bookings.
- Assist with maintenance of the ticketing system, including performance and product building and verifying event information. You will serve as SCCT’s Tessitura PowerUser serving as liaison between SCCT and Tessitura Support. Responsible for integrity of database. Prepare and oversee data cleanup projects.
- Implements necessary and appropriate staff training including preparation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures and maintenance of manuals and procedural notebooks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A positive and professional attitude with strong diplomacy skills and professionalism; this includes the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion always.
- Patience and poise in resolving customer concerns
- Extremely detail oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and identify critical issues and work towards positive, accurate results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills.
- Able to successfully handle multiple priorities in sometimes high stress situations.
- Ability to work effectively on cross-functional teams in a shared office environment.
- Tessitura ticketing system experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, word, excel, outlook
Candidates should submit a Cover Letter, and Résumé.
In your cover letter, please share with us:
- How your experience, knowledge, skills and abilities best align with this position and SCCT’s mission- to educate and stimulate the minds and imaginations of young people and their families through participation in high-quality theatre, year-round education, and accessible outreach.
South Carolina Children’s Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Online applications only. Send To:
Upstate college-age students with an interest in theatre will benefit in working in the midst of a multi-faceted theatre. Our internships are focused in the following areas: Theatre Education/Teaching, Production, Marketing, Theatre Administration and Outreach. All internship opportunities are unpaid and do not include housing benefits.
Candidates must have a keen sense of organization and attention to detail, be a self-starter who enjoys seeing a project through to its completion, and gain satisfaction from the growth and success of various types and ages of students. Successful interns will discover the value of a layered program, consisting of theatre classes (K-12 and adult), MainStage and touring South Carolina Children’s Theatre productions, additional 2nd Stage opportunities, Events and fundraising.
Our internship opportunities provide an opportunity for aspiring teachers and children’s theatre professionals to participate in an intense and growing theatre education program in the context of a thriving community theatre organization.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for an internship opportunity, please send your resumes (work and theatre) and the time of year/semester you’re interested in to [email protected].
The Teaching Internship provides an opportunity for aspiring teachers and children’s theatre professionals to participate in an intense and growing theatre education program in the context of a thriving community theatre organization. Administrative and teaching responsibilities will afford the candidate an understanding of the complex interrelationships of each facet of SCCT’s Conservatory Program. The focus will be on assisting the Education Director and instructors in the execution of tasks necessary for the smooth running of each aspect of a theatre school – from building supervision to interaction with parents and students.
- Fall Semester: Mid-September to Late November (varies)
- Winter Semester: Early January to Late February
- Spring Semester: Early March to May
- Summer Semester: Mid-June to Mid-August
Our Conservatory classes are broken into semesters: Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. Interns typically work as an assistant for a weekly class for the duration of the semester (10-12 weeks). The intern selects classes based on his/her schedule and number of credit hours needed to fulfill the requirements if needed. If you’d like to sit in on a class to see how one runs and what the assistant does, please contact [email protected]
Technical Theatre Internship
The Technical Theatre Internship provides an opportunity for aspiring actors and technical theatre professionals to participate in an intense and thriving community theatre organization. The focus will be on assisting a Mainstage Director and Stage Manager in the execution of tasks necessary for the smooth running of rehearsal, tech and performance.
- Assist with build of show
- Prepare scenic, costume or prop pieces
- Maintain list of borrowed materials and return when finished
- Maintain list of people/organizations to be recognized in playbill
- Attend all design presentation and production meetings
- Maintain shop facilities
- Assist in coordination of volunteer support staff
- Pre/Post Show
- Prepare load-in and load-out process
- Run the show as crew if assigned
- Restock shop materials as needed
- Connected to show build/run dates
Production Assistant Internship
The Production Internship provides an opportunity for aspiring actors and technical theatre professionals to participate in an intense and thriving community theatre organization. The focus will be on assisting a South Carolina Children’s Theatre Mainstage Director and Stage Manager in the execution of tasks necessary for the smooth running of rehearsal, tech and performance.
- Assist director, music director, choreographer (as assigned)
- Prepare rehearsal materials/handouts for cast
- Maintain the production book with script adjustments, tech notes, blocking and staging notations
- Attend all design presentation and production meetings
- Create and distribute rehearsal reports for production team
- Act as Rehearsal Stage Manager during rehearsal process
- Maintain facilities
- Assist in coordination of volunteer support staff
- Pre/Post Show:
- Prepare for load-in through dressing room assignments, tech needs list
- Assist with load-in and load-out process
- Assist young performers with mics
- Run the show as an Assistant Stage Manager/Audio Technician
- Act as liaison between cast members and Stage Management team
- Connected to show rehearsal/run dates
The Outreach Internship provides an opportunity for aspiring teachers and children’s theatre professionals to participate in an intense and growing theatre outreach program bringing social issue plays and workshops to the public schools system in the context of a thriving community theatre organization. The focus will be on assisting the South Carolina Children’s Theatre Know Way Administrator in the execution of tasks necessary for the smooth running of the Know Way Program serving Middle and Elementary schools with Bullying Prevention programming.
- Assist with show planning and preparation
- Maintain email contact lists with current information
- Plan and schedule in-school performances
- Prepare materials/handouts for teachers, students, and facilitators
- Aid in the audition process and the development of technical elements
- Act as liaison to SCCT Marketing concerning performances, classes, workshops or events that need advertising
- Prepare evaluation materials and coordinate plan for distribution
- Perform (either as an actor or stage manager) in touring shows
- Assist with load-in/load-out
- Follow up with schools during the show run
- Review student and teacher evaluation forms
- Update tour history
- Assist in preparation of final report materials
- Fall Semester: Early September to December
Arts Administration/Marketing Internship
The Administration/Marketing Internship provides an opportunity for aspiring arts administration and/or marketing focused students to participate in an intense and growing non-profit in the context of a thriving community theatre organization. The Arts Administration will assist the Executive Director, Development Director and Office Manager in the execution of tasks. The marketing and public relations responsibilities will focus on assisting the Marketing Director to actively promote the theatre’s offerings in the community through advertising, special events, press releases, and a strategic communication plan.
Administration Job Description:
- Prepare press releases for media outlets
- Ensure all marketing materials are current and accurate before releasing
- Conduct qualitative surveys to patrons of the theatre for feedback
- Complete marketing projects for the promotion of the SCCT brand and/or for individual performances
- Work within the theatre database to update patron information
Marketing Job Description:
- Assist with marketing and promotional planning
- Escort characters and/or media members during promotional events
- Keep marketing materials organized
- Distribute marketing materials to local partners within the community
- Assist in volunteer assignments and schedules
The Development Internship provides an opportunity for aspiring arts administration and/or development focused students to participate in an intense and growing non-profit in the context of a thriving community theatre organization. The focus will be on assisting the Executive Director, Development Director and Office Manager in the execution of tasks necessary to secure donors and follow-up as needed.
- Conduct donor research, cultivation, acknowledgement, and database management
- Assist in obtaining individual donors for two major fundraising events
- Serve as liaison to individual donors
- Prepare and execute communications to new and renewing individual donors
- Maintain donor information: data gift entry, thank you letters, donor tracking and donor benefits
- Assist with grant research and administrative needs
The Administrative Internship responsibilities will afford the proper candidate a vast understanding of the day to day operations in an office environment while supporting multiple staff members and interacting with families.
- Prepare for auditions, orientations and parent meetings
- Prepare for shows
- Prepare for volunteer projects
- Research potential playbill advertisers
- Assist with season ticket renewals
- Assist in selling playbill ads
- Help with special events